PAMI operates two environmental chambers at its Humboldt station that can generate extreme temperatures ranging from -50º C to + 60º C for various tests. The chambers can be used for a number of tests including engine cold starts, vehicle heating/air conditioning, defroster, reduced temperature component operation, and calibration of temperature sensitive equipment.
- Dimensions: 16.5m long x 5.7m wide x 5.5m high with a large 4.3m wide x 4.9m high door.
- Mechanical specifications: Multi-stage refrigeration systems capable of bringing the room to -50°C and heating equipment capable of raising room temperature to +40°C. Different operating modes available depending upon the heat load generated by the test article.
- Capacity: Can accommodate vehicles such as commercial buses, ambulances, armored personnel carriers, or other large industrial equipment. 2.4 m extension available allowing a working length of 18.5 m.
- Controls: Computerized control of chamber temperature and humidity including programmable setpoints with scheduled ramping.
|Operating Mode||Typical Use||Extreme Temperature||Lowest Temperature with Heat Load (TBD)|
|Mode 1||Cool static material||-50°C||-30°C with 185 kW engine at high idle for 30 minutes|
|Mode 2||Cool static material/non combusting heat sources||-50°C||-30°C with 185 kW engine at high idle for 30 minutes|
|Mode 3||Cool operating vehicles||-40°C||-40°C with 185 kW engine (full load) operating continuously|
|Mode 4||Hot temperature testing
(Make-up chilled for combustion)
|40°C with high R.H.||NA|
- Dimensions: 8.8m long x 5.8m wide x 4.6m high with a 4.3m wide x 3.7m high door.
- Mechanical specifications: Three 20 hp refrigeration systems capable of bringing the room temperature to -35°C and heating equipment capable of raising room temperature to +60°C.
- Capacity: Can accommodate vehicles such as ambulance, tractors and similar equipment.
Ultra Low Freezer
- Dimensions: 0.91m long x 0.51 m wide x 0.61 m high
- Mechanical specifications: Cooling capability to lower temperature to -85°C.
- Capacity: Able to cool smaller material samples/equipment for testing external to the cabinet.
*The Extreme Temperature Chambers is supported through cooperation with Western Canada Testing Inc.